Creamy, zesty, soft and crunchy – this shrimp macaroni salad is a healthy and unique macaroni salad and the best side dish for cookouts!
Side salads are a favorite around here. Especially when we can twist them a little to create a unique salad recipe. This Puerto Rican macaroni salad recipe is definitely different, in an amazing way! Take for instance our healthy chayote tuna salad, our Puerto Rican potato salad with apples, our mayo free shrimp potato salad, and our spicy Mexican fusion pasta salad!
What is a shrimp macaroni salad?
This Puerto Rican macaroni salad, is like your typical macaroni salad, but fully loaded with crunchy veggies, boiled eggs, a special mayonnaise sauce, and cooked shrimp.
Is shrimp macaroni salad served hot or cold?
Shrimp macaroni salad is mayonnaise based, so it’s best to serve the macaroni salad cold, and to keep the shrimp macaroni stored properly -with a lid and in a cooler or refrigerator.
How long does shrimp macaroni salad last for?
Macaroni salad can last up to 4 days in the fridge -without the shrimp. Shrimp macaroni should not be stored more than 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Is shrimp macaroni salad healthy?
Shrimp macaroni salad is a healthy side dish recipe. Outside of the pasta, which can be swapped with chopped chayote or whole grain pasta, the ingredients used are whole food approved.
The shrimp and boiled eggs also make this macaroni salad recipe high in protein, as opposed to a plain macaroni salad recipe.
How do you make shrimp macaroni salad?
To make this shrimp macaroni salad, it takes a few steps:
- cook pasta until al dente (use elbow noodles)
- cook shrimp and peel off tail (use small, medium, or large – feel free to chop to bite size)
- finely chop vegetables
- boil eggs, peel, and roughly chop
- make the mayonnaise sauce
- mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, refrigerate at least half an hour
What ingredients are in shrimp macaroni salad?
For this Puerto Rican macaroni salad recipe, we want flavor, lots of flavor! Feel free to leave out or substitute any ingredient used.
- elbow macaroni salad
- red onions
- red bell pepper
- sugar (optional)
- lime juice
- Tajin seasoning, to garnish and optional
What should I serve with shrimp macaroni salad?
Shrimp macaroni is a light yet hearty side dish that will go great with lean poultry and seafood.
Great side dishes for shrimp macaroni salad would be:
Cilantro Lime Rice
Puerto Rican Shrimp Macaroni Salad
- 8 oz elbow macaroni cooked and drained
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 celery stalk minced
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 5 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- Tajin seasoning to garnish
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon of adobo seasoning or salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of granulated white sugar
- In a large bowl, add all of the salad ingredients together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients, and taste to adjust to your liking
- Pour sauce mixture over salad mixture and gently fold together.
- Cover salad and refrigerate a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.