This healthy egg salad is one for the books! Using fresh ingredients, such as red onions, tomatoes, red and green peppers, and the amazingly juicy chayote -what’s not to love?!
Egg salad recipes are a favorite around here, especially during the summer months. It seems like when we have egg salad, we always turn it into an egg salad sandwich -for more heartiness.
I wanted to incorporate something that would magnify the egg salad recipe into a stand alone dish that could pass for lunch. Here comes in chayote, a fruit often times used in savory dishes. Chayote can easily replace potatoes, it is hearty, yet very low in carbs, making this a keto egg salad recipe!
Want to learn more about chayote? Read my Chayote Tuna Salad Recipe post for a more thorough explanation on what chayote is.
How To Make Egg Salad With Chayote
For the best egg salad, we’re going to chop up our ingredients on the finer side, outside of the chayote, which we want on the bite size side. We still want all vegetables large enough to see and get that amazing crunch that comes from rich raw vegetables.
The vegetables can get chopped while the eggs are either cooking or cooling in an ice bath.
If you’re wondering how long to boil eggs for egg salad, here’s the truth, for the easiest hard boiled eggs, it’s best to cook the eggs in an Instant Pot! I am obsessed with how perfect them come out! No having to worry about overcooking the eggs. Cook for 5 minutes!
Here’s a guide to hard boiling eggs in the Instant Pot on my Tajin Deviled Eggs recipe.
How Long To Boil Eggs For Egg Salad
Here’s a step by step guide on how to boil eggs for egg salad:
- Add a teaspoon of white vinegar to a medium pot filled with water. (This helps the peeling process.)
- Bring water to a boil, before GENTLY adding in the eggs. I do this one at a time, using a large cooking spoon. You do not want the eggs to hit the pot and crack.
- Now, lower the heat so the water is at a gentle simmer. (Think medium heat.)
- Cook for about 12 minutes, if you’re using large eggs.
- Once your timer goes off, gently add one egg at a time to an ice bath. (A large bowl filled with ice and water.)
- Let it sit for at least five minutes in the ice bath.
- After the eggs are cold, gently roll the eggs on the counter and peel them.
Now that the eggs are cooked, and peeled, chop them into larger chunks, like the chayote. Add it to a large bowl with the vegetables and work on the egg salad sauce.
How To Make Egg Salad Sauce
For this super easy egg salad sauce recipe, we’re only dressing up the mayonnaise a little bit.
Ingredients used for egg salad sauce:
- mayonnaise (we LOVE Hellman’s)
- ground cumin
- lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Big thing is, mix it together and adjust to your liking! I’m adding minimal amounts. You can also add in your favorite seasonings, like paprika or even a seasoning blend -like Mrs. Dash!
Pour your egg salad sauce over your egg salad ingredients with chayote, to create the best egg salad recipe with chayote!
This chayote egg salad recipe is a great lunch option. If you’re looking for ideas on what would go great with it to serve for dinner, here are some ideas:
- Puerto Rican Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Cuban Pernil (pulled pork)
- Ropa Vieja with rice
- Arroz con salchichas (rice with vienna sausage)
- BBQ pinchos (chicken kebabs)
Healthy Egg Salad Recipe with Chayote
egg salad ingredients
- 1 chayote peeled cored and chopped
- 6 eggs hard boiled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of red onions chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1 plum tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup of of mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, add all of your egg salad ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients and taste for seasoning.
Pour sauce mixture over egg salad, and gently fold ingredients together.
Last Updated on