Soup season is upon us, and I could not let this season pass without having some kind of lentil soup thrown into the mix. Mi madre makes the best lentil soup at New Years, but we'll wait a little longer to post that. In the meantime, enjoy this slow cooker lentil soup recipe that's been enhanced with kale and sausage.
How To Make A Sausage and Vegetable Lentil Soup
If you didn't know, a lot of meats are cooked or seared before being thrown into a slow cooker, especially ground meats. It's still true for this sausage lentil soup. I cooked ground Italian sausage (easier than using links). Chopped fresh celery and onions, threw them on the bottom.
Topped it with some diced tomatoes. (I love the fire roasted ones, do you?)
Added some rinsed brown lentils. Which, it's important to rinse all of your dry legumes to check for tiny rocks that can sometimes be missed in the packaging process.
And topped with the stock and herbs. Do you use bay leaves often? I love them, they add so much flavor. I don't see I've ever seen my mom cook without them to be honest. Bay leaves and oregano, on everything hehe.
Give it a quick stir, cover and let the sausage and kale lentil soup cook on high 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours in the slow cooker.
That's it mi gente, I hope you enjoy this recipe and be sure to share it with your friends. Buen provecho!
Slow Cooker Sausage Kale Lentil Soup
- 1 pound of ground Italian Sausage or hot if you prefer
- ¼ cup of onions chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 pound of brown lentil beans rinsed
- 6 cups of low sodium beef broth
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 3 cups of kale rinsed and chopped, stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown sausage over medium high heat on the stove. Add sausage and all of the ingredients, except for the kale and salt. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 4-6 hours. In the last twenty minutes add in kale and salt to taste. Continue cooking until kale has softened.