Need a vegetarian refried beans recipe? If so, this creamy and flavorful refried beans recipe is the perfect one for you!
Having beans in my house is mandatory. I have an assortment of both dried beans and canned beans lining my pantry, waiting to be used. My oldest has been asking for refried beans the past few days, and I figured we could have a Taco Tuesday this week.
For these refried beans, I decided to go the vegetarian route and also make it in the Instant Pot.
Really quick, you may be wondering.
What beans are used to make refried beans?
Traditionally, dried pinto beans are used to make refried beans. I've also seen black beans used as refried beans too. I suggest if you're going the traditional route such as making a refried beans taco dip or chimichangas, go ahead and use pinto beans. Now if you want a Cuban refried beans twist, for sure use black beans, and be sure to have a garlic topping of sorts!
How Do You Keep Refried Beans From Drying Out?
Refried beans are known for drying out. The way to combat this is to use extra water or broth, and to honestly blend less. If you have a more chunky refried beans there is more loose liquid. However, even if you blend the refried beans until it's completely creamy, you can add a tablespoon of olive oil and a little more water or broth to make it creamy.
If you're storing cooked refried beans, just heat it up with a little bit of water to keep the refried beans from drying out.
For these Instant Pot refried beans, I actually created a video showing you step by step how to make these vegetarian refried beans!
Tips For Success With Instant Pot Refried Beans
-Use homemade sofrito. (If you don't have sofrito, use chopped onions and green peppers.)
-Use a hand blender to make refried beans.
-Season with salt AFTER beans are cooked.
-Rinse beans before using.
-Be generous with your seasonings.
-Make sure Instant Pot is warm on saute mode before adding oil and sofrito (or onions).
Recipe Video For Instant Pot Refried Beans Recipe
Instant Pot Refried Beans
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of sofrito
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound of dried pinto beans rinsed
- 8 cups of water or chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- lime juice to taste
- In the Instant Pot set Saute mode to 10 minutes.
- Allow insert to become warm, about two minutes. Next, add in oil.
- Once oil is warm, add in sofrito, dried oregano, cumin, and bay leaves.
- Stir for a minute.
- Add in pinto beans, stir, and add in water.
- Press cancel mode to stop the saute mode.
- Cover with lid, set to sealing.
- Next, press high pressure timer for 45 minutes.
- Once timer goes off, let naturally release for 10 minutes before setting to quick release.
- Stir and taste for salt and pepper. Season to your liking. Remove bay leaves.
- With a hand blender, gently blend beans to your desired consistency.
- Mix and add lime juice, if desired.