Kidney beans is the go to beans for most Puerto Ricans. We use it in rice, add it to salads, and make it in a stew like form. Today, I'm sharing my quick Instant Pot Kidney Beans recipe that takes dried kidney beans and transforms it into a flavorful Puerto Rican habichuelas guisada recipe.
How To Make Puerto Rican Kidney Beans In The Instant Pot
I love you abuela, but I'm so glad to have an Instant Pot! I am able to safely make habichuelas guisada quickly in my Instant Pot, and they taste as good as abuela's.
Pre-soaking is not necessary when using the instant pot, but I do like to put my dried beans, once rinsed, in a large bowl covered with water, a chunk of onion, bay leaf, garlic, and the optional smoked ham hock. I like to soak it for an hour while I get everything else (and the rice) ready to cook.
What I love about the Instant Pot is that you have valuable stove burners available, and it still offers tons of options, like sauteing! This is where the magic happens.
Quick tip! DO NOT ADD SALT UNTIL BEANS ARE COOKED! (Adding salt too soon keeps your beans from softening.)
Put oil in your IP (Instant Pot) sleeve, add in your seasonings, homemade sofrito, and tomato sauce. Let the Puerto Rican , while stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
Next, add in your veggies and ham hock. And then your broth.
Next, place lid over the IP and turn the knob towards sealing, then press manual high pressure (or beans setting) for 40 minutes.
Once the 40 minutes are up, press the cancel button and allow the Instant Pot to naturally release. (The top knob will fall down once ready to open.)
Puerto Rican IP Kidney Beans
- Instant Pot
- 16 oz dry kidney beans rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 smoked hamhock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 chunk onion
- 1/2 cup sofrito
- 1 packet sazon con culantro
- 1 tbsp adobo
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 2 potatoes peeled, chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- In a large bowl, add in dried beans, hamhock, onion chunk, bay leave, garlic and water to cover. Let sit for an hour before draining.To the Instant Pot (IP) add in oil and set saute mode for 6 minutes. Once oil is warm, add in sofrito, seasonings EXCEPT for the salt, and tomato sauce. Mix around and let cook for 3 minutes before adding in the drained bean mix.Allow the beans to get coated and now add the remaining ingredients. Mix, close lid and set to sealing. Place timer at 40 minutes on manual high pressure mode.Allow for a natural release by pressing cancel when the 40 minute timer goes off. Once depressurized, remove lid, stir and carefully taste the beans. Add salt to your liking.