If there was only one loaded grilled cheese sandwich I could ever make, it would have to be this one. This chorizo, red onion, pepper jack cheese filled and fully loaded grilled cheese sandwich is packed with flavor and cheesy goodness.
It starts with already cooked chorizo links that you peel the skin off of and cut into thin slices. Two links will suffice for an extremely loaded sandwich, but go ahead and use one link per sandwich. Tell me, what are some of your favorite recipes to use chorizo in? I love using chorizo in my yellow rice, breakfast chorizo frittatas, and sometimes soups! It’s an easy go to protein that I’m sure I will become besties with post-surgery. (I’ll take ALL.THE.PROTEIN)
Next is sauteing the onions and cilantro. Don’t worry, this process is quick and easy and so worth it! I cooked the onions first until desired tenderness level and then threw in the cilantro. Cilantro is life, am I right, or am I right? (If you really want an extra kick, go ahead and add in jalapenos!)
Once your onions have cooled down, it’s time to layer them. Bottom layer put on a generous amount of shredded pepper jack cheese, then put on chorizo and onion mixture, and top with sharp cheddar cheese. Take a non-stick pan, butter that bad boy up and start grilling your grilled cheese over medium high heat (about 2-3 minutes per side, adjusting heat as needed).
I swear, if I were to ever have a food truck, this would be the FIRST recipe on there, along with my Cuban Sliders, Mexican Orange Honey Plantains, and Cuban Spicy BBQ Sliders. Or maybe I’ll just put them in a cookbook and share the recipes with the world? Hmm…that sounds less labor intensive to me too!
Want to see more recipes like this one? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to subscribe!
Chorizo and Red Onion Loaded Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 4 slices of bread
- 2-4 tablespoon of butter
- 7 oz of chorizo skin off and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup of red onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup of pepper jack cheese
- 2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro
- In a small pan over medium high heat, heat olive oil. Add in red onions and soften for 1-2 minutes, add in cilantro and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Assemble sandwiches by laying two slices of bread side by side, add in half of the ingredients to one slice of bread and cover with the other slice. Repeat for the other two slices.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a pan, add in one sandwich and allow to cook 2-3 minutes or until a golden color and flip and repeat. Do the same for the other sandwich, adding more butter if needed.