They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My daughters truly believe in it 100% since cereal is a snack, not breakfast. They want something hot and heavy every.single.morning. It gets exhausting, but with this chorizo frittata it gives me an excuse to encourage them to sleep in (summer vacation here) and make breakfast (or brunch) just a tad bit later.
How To Make The Best Ever Spanish Inspired Chorizo And Spinach Breakfast Frittata
It starts with the eggs. What I love about frittata's is that you can truly change it to your liking. I had chorizo (I love Goya brand, that can be found in most supermarkets), in the fridge and decided to go ahead and make this for brunch. I add a splash of milk, seasonings, and get to work on whisking it all together.
This chorizo frittata is amazing, make sure you remove the skin on the chorizo links before cutting them. I cooked the onions and peppers until the onions were translucent, just a few minutes. Ooh, this cast iron pan is from The Pioneer Woman, and I scored it on clearance for $11! Woot woot. Back to the receta Neyssa.
Next I went ahead and added the chorizo and spinach. I continued cooking it for like 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilted. Looks like a ton of spinach right?
Look again... The spinach wilted and the pan looks empty. We're about to change that! Pero look at that chorizo, ay ya yi, it's slightly charred, I LOVE IT!
Next we add in the eggs. I personally like to return it back to the stove and let it cook for a six or seven minutes. Stirring very occasionally, (like 2-3 times only). I lower the heat at the point to medium low.
Next, we throw it into the oven, be careful, it's caliente! Allow it to bake for an additional 12-14 minutes, or until eggs are set. I didn't add cheese to the recipe, but you sure can top it with it. You know what would go great with this recipe? Mmm some Mexican style orange honey plantains!
Here's my oldest, she topped hers with shredded cheese, I personally added some ketchup to mine, wishing I had some salsa, but I ran out making zucchini taco rolls (recipe coming soon).
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and subscribe. Until next time, buen provecho!
Chorizo Frittata Recipe
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of onions
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup of fresh spinach chopped
- 2 Goya Chorizo links 3.5 ounces, skinned and cut into chunks
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, add in eggs, seasonings, and milk. Whisk together and set aside.
- Over medium high heat, add in oil and allow to heat up before adding in the onions, and red bell pepper. Cook until peppers become tender and onions are translucent, lower heat to medium if necessary.
- Add in spinach and chorizo, stir occasionally until spinach has wilted, lower heat to medium low.
- Add in egg mixture, gently fold all ingredients together. If adding cheese, add it now. Allow frittata to cook over the stove for five minutes before placing it into the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.