Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 drumsticks mix and match with thighs, wings if desired
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1/3 cup of homemade sofrito
- 2 garlic cloves minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup of cilantro chopped (optional)
- 4 oz of tomato sauce
- 1-2 packets of Goya Sazon packet
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of adobo optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth or water with 2 teaspoons of chicken bullion
In a large bowl, season your chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Let sit for ten minutes.
Into a large heavy bottom caldero or dutch oven pan, heat your oil over medium high heat. Then add in your chicken. Brown both sides of chicken, about 3-4 minutes per side. Next, add in everything except for the rice and broth. Mix it all together, and allow to cook for about three minutes.
After three minutes, stir in the rice, allow the rice to absorb all of the sauce for about 1-2 minutes before adding in the broth. Stir rice and broth together, allow it to come to a light boil, for about 5-7 minutes.
Once you're able to see the grains of rice just at the surface, you will lower your heat to medium low, COVER your pot, and let it cook for 20-30 minutes.
After 20 minutes, check on your rice, if there is still any liquid or your rice isn't as soft as desired, let it cook an additional 5-10 minutes. Once liquid is absorbed and rice is soft, remove from heat, let it sit for 5 minutes before giving it a GENTLE fluff with a fork, then serve immediately.
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg