- 2 large leeks pale parts only, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 2 stalks of celery cut into ½ inch chunks
- 3 peeled carrots cut into ½ inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of dried tarragon leaves
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 fresh twigs of thyme
- 9 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 cups of cooked chicken shredded
- 14 oz bag of three cheese tortellini
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of cornstarch
- 1 cup of half and half
- Additional salt and pepper to taste optional
In a large pot over medium high heat add in oil and butter. Once butter begins to melt, add in clean leeks. Stirring occasionally, allow the leeks to cook for about 4 minutes, or until softened. Next, add in celery, carrots and seasonings. Add in vegetable broth and lower heat to a simmer, cook for 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
While you're waiting, in a small bowl whisk together water and cornstarch, set aside. Once carrots are tender remove thyme and add in chicken and tortellini, raise heat to medium high heat, and cook until tortellini has softened, about 4-6 minutes. Next add in cornstarch slurry and stir gently until broth has thickened, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and allow soup to cool slightly before adding in half and half. Stir gently once and serve immediately.
In order for the soup not to curdle add in half and half right before serving and do not over mix it.
Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve with toast and a salad.
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg